He calls it the Paradise

/
0 Comments

Despite its size and its population of almost 900,000 inhabitants, it only took one person for me to fall in love with this beautiful 
piece of land





On a standard day, SOME may consider me an early morning person, but getting up at 2AM, after sleeping for approximately 3 hours, even I struggle. That’s why the journey from Gatwick’s hotel room to the South Terminal is kinda blurry. Probably the reason why I forgot to take all my liquids out of my hold luggage and didn’t care much about the over-toasted and over-priced toast breakfast.

Once on the plane, excitement took over leaving me with no option but to rule out sleep, however some passed out even before the lift-off, so I had the beautiful, above-the-clouds sunrise all to myself – I have travelled enough to know that it is rather pointless to document the 4 hours’ worth of flight time on camera, no matter how amazing it was. Let’s be honest, it is only going to take up memory space and we will never use them, anywhere. Maybe except those people who like to show off that they’re on holiday from the moment they step out of the house and post this all over their social media.


First impressions count.

The landing was probably the most butterflies-provoking part of the journey to the most populated island of Spain, not because the captain didn’t know how to land - I was minutes away from meeting his clan (I write clan in the nicest way imaginable, because it represents a large group of members who are irrevocably close, with a strong impression, but also the kindest and the most welcoming sort of people). I must get back to describing the geographic place itself, because it was simply breath-taking. I guess it is safe to say that I realized why is it so frequently visited and talked about in regards to paradise holiday – this volcanic island was simply impressive with its size, its height, its colours, its diversity and just about everything you can see while landing. 










Having the chance to travel with people who are native to destination is an opportunity everyone should take, regardless of the place. These people probably (most likely, definitely, certainly, surely etc.) know the places to see, the things to do, the foods to try and much more than any travel agents do and they are willing to share too! He took me to places that a normal tourist, out of those 5 million odd tourists who visit each year, does not even dream about – for instance, taking us to a black sand beach that is not  frequently visited - not even by the people who live there! (True these are places, perhaps harder to get to, but worth every step of the way, trust me - been there, done that)

He showed me an amazing ice-cream place, the ROSE ice-cream parlour in the island’s capital (that’s not the actually name of the place but probably the most descriptive). Both of us liked it so much as to return twice a day! The two of us probably became the regulars in the two weeks spent there. Another favourite place, that only few locals know, that I had the chance to see, was situated up the third largest volcano in the world from its base, which happens to be the centrepiece of this island. After enduring the journey up the volcano, which consisted of countless ridiculously narrow and crazy-winding roads, spectacular views presented themselves. We did not trek the whole 3 718 metres up to the peak – that is a trip saved for a return. He took me to see some of the most iconic sites on the way to the top. The ‘God’s Finger’ – the top postcard-photographed rock there, the American-style road, the whole crater around the peak of the volcano, actually – it was all worth seeing, and seeing it again wouldn’t bother me either.



It was at numerous points during my stay there, that returning to such a preserved natural place has caused me to seem like the dramatic one, forcing tears of overwhelm into my eyes. Simply sitting in a car and watching the stars in the middle of the forest out of the rooftop window, or sitting on cliff rocks and staring down the bright-burning sun set, knowing that somebody has brought you here, it was really worth travelling the 2910.48 km to see this. 

Excuse the messy hair situation, but let me present to you - El Sauzal.

Of course there has been more happening than just seeing the island. Never in my life, have I visited a house of, practically strangers, and have felt so comfortable, so welcome and so moved in the company of complete strangers. Never have I even imagined to be so accepted, so this bit goes directly and truthfully to the family – thank you for this experience, and I am ever so excited to come back. Yes, sorry, I am difficult to get rid of…

Until landing back ‘home’, I have not even realised how relaxing a holiday can be, furthermore how addictive it can be to let everything go. Genuinely. All the exam stress, all the work load, even returning back to work – it all slipped my mind for those immensely peaceful 14 days spent away from ‘home’.





No wonder that not even a week after coming back we have booked our next flights.


And yes, if you hadn’t figured it out yet, I visited Tenerife.

Thank you 



You may also like

Disclaimer

If you happen to see your work on my site without proper credit or you would like it to be removed, please contact me.

All images on this blog are copyrighted to their respective owners. I do not own any of the images posted unless stated otherwise.

Powered by Blogger.